In British culture it’s a normality to spill tea and coffee, most people start their day with these drinks! Therefore it’s inevitable that a spill could occur. Due to the tannins from plant compounds in these drinks ,it can immediately be soaked up within the fibres of your upholstery. Even though decaf does not contain this , these type of beverages can leave undesirable dry yellow/brown stains. As a result of this, stains can be harder to remove if left too long.
Please do not worry as our services at Magic Carpet cleaning are not only in person; we can be accessed online or even over the phone. We encourage you to call and ask us; we will be more than happy to guide you through the process of how to remove your stain. We cannot emphasize enough how important it is to stay calm and act fast so that the tea or coffee does not sink into the fibres of the rug. The faster you react, the more effective your results will be.
How to clean Tea and Coffee stains from your carpets?
- Soak up as much of the stain as possible with an absorbent towel.
- Rinse the stain with COLD water. Soda water or sparling water may help lift the stains better do to bubbles of gas pushing the stain upwards.
- Use a white paper towel to blot the stain area to soak up as much of the stain as possible.
- if you wish to use a stain remover, here is when you crack it open HOWEVER we strongly advise to try it first on an unseen part of the carpet, so you can see any reactions that take place, resulting in permanent damage to your upholstery.
- Carry on blotting until all excess liquid and leave the stain to air dry.
- If the stain has still not been removed, repeat the method if necessary.
How to clean coffee/tea stains from rugs?
- Using a white sponge (not dyed so that we do not damage the rug further by a transfer of colours) soak up all of the stain to prevent it sinking into the carpet any further than it already has.
- Keep blotting the sponge and using the dabbing method (see here for the dabbing method) .
- Pour half a teaspoon of washing up liquid and some lukewarm water onto the damp sponge. Carry on blotting the stain. DO NOT RUB into the stain as that could damage the fibres making up your rug.
- Keep on rinsing the sponge so that any soaked up stain is not transferred back onto the rug.
- Carry on blotting until the stain has been soaked up. Blot with a dry paper towel to remove excess water.
- Leave to air dry.
*Be careful not to spread the beverage stain to any other areas.
TIP#1: Even though we do not advise chemicals to be used on your upholstery- if you wish to proceed using one. Use an acid based stain remover due to the tannins within the beverages.
TIP#2: Never use bleach! (or bleach based products) You will simply ruin your rug, sofa or carpet and we can not reverse this damage.
TIP#3: If the stain is old and dried please do not attempt to remove using home methods as we can’t guarantee you a positive result.
NOTE: Upholstery made of materials such as Jude and Silk can only be dry cleaned by professionals. Both materials could either shrink up or leave a residue. We definitely do not suggest anything that could possibly result in throwing away your valuable furniture. Even though, Tannin based stains can be hard to remove if Magic Carpet Cleaning UK remove it – no other company can.
Magic Carpet Cleanings Do’s and Don’ts:
- When treating the stain, treat it completely so that the stain does not permanently dye the fibres of your once impeccable rug or carpet.
- Even though websites may suggest purchasing online treatments, not all chemicals will accommodate to the fibres in the rub and the compounds within the beverage stain. Being unaware of the outcomes could result in your upholstery colour/texture to be permanently changed.
- The reason why only a small number of professional carpet cleaning companies , like Magic Carpet Cleaning UK, can remove your stain with tougher chemicals is that we immediately extract any leftover residue or liquid as soon as we use our solutions. This means that the chemicals do not have enough time to soak up into the fibres of your rug but can manage to lift off the stain layer.
Need more help?
The same cleaning techniques is recommended for sofas. Try not to over saturate the fabric with water as excess moisture could lead to mildew. Silk or vintage upholstery should be handled by professionals as home cleaning may result in water marks
The advised method may not work, for a variety of reasons, nevertheless if doing it yourself did not overcome the obstacle, it would be best for one of our professional technicians at Magic Carpet Cleaning UK to provide a quality stain removal service. Please feel free to contact us at 02089302650!